I’m a total sucker for old Amish family recipes.
Since we live so close to a large Amish community in Ohio, we’re always picking up local Amish cookbooks.
This recipe is one that I picked up years ago, and we’ve made a few changes to suit our tastes over the years.
This is a truly easy potato salad recipe. If you’ve never made your own homemade potato salad, what are you waiting for? It’s so much better than that store-bought stuff.
This potato salad recipe has a sweet and tangy flavor that just tastes amazing. This potato salad is my go-to recipe for picnics, potlucks, and holidays.
What is Amish Potato Salad?
This recipe is made from a real mayonnaise base (not Miracle Whip!), as well as mustard, white vinegar, sugar, salt, and milk.
This produces a sweet and sour sauce that will soak into your potatoes and taste absolutely delicious.
As far as potatoes, I highly prefer Yukon Gold potatoes, but you can use any potatoes that you have on hand.
Don’t forget about the hard-boiled eggs. They are so important in making this homemade potato salad a truly special dish.
You can make this potato salad recipe in advance. I usually make it the night before an event.
This gives the potatoes plenty of time to soak-up all of the delicious flavors.
We often make this dish in the summertime as a side for weekend cookouts or events like the 4th of July or Memorial Day.
I’m always the person in the family tapped to bring the potato salad because everyone loves this recipe so much!
- Be sure to let your cooked potatoes cool thoroughly before adding the sauce. You can speed up the process, if you’re impatient, by running the potatoes under cold water.
- You can optionally add salt to your water when boiling the potatoes. I always add a little salt! I think it gives the potatoes more flavor.
- Jazz it up with a little freshly cracked black pepper and paprika right before serving!
The next time you’re craving a creamy and delicious Amish potato salad, skip the line at Walmart and make your own using my tasty recipe!
Looking for more potluck recipes?
Interested in a new twist on potato salad? Don’t miss my loaded potato salad recipe, which you can find on my other blog.
- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3 lbs.), diced, cooked
- 6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup onion finely diced
- 1 ½ cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Peel and dice potatoes; cover with cold water in a large pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and gently boil for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Allow the potatoes to fully cool. If you want to speed the process up, you can rinse in cold water.
- In another bowl mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, white vinegar, granulated sugar, and salt.
- Add the diced potatoes, celery, and the onion to the mixture and stir until everything is coated.
- Stir in the eggs.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 573Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 528mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 4gSugar: 20gProtein: 10g