Our broccoli cheddar cheese soup recipe is a warm and comforting meal that comes together quickly on busy weeknights. I enjoy this soup paired with a salad and a chunk of crusty bread!
I really love soup recipes, and not just during the cold winter months.
I make soups throughout the year, and one of my favorite quick and tasty dinners is this lovely broccoli cheddar cheese soup.
I love that this soup has such a velvety cheese flavor while maintaining a nice texture thanks to the whole pieces of broccoli and sweet shredded carrots.
I have a wonderful cheesy cauliflower soup recipe on my other blog that you may also enjoy!
How to Make Broccoli
Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Start by melting your butter in a stockpot over medium heat.
- Next, you’ll add your carrots and onions and sauté until tender. Whisk in the flour and continue to stir for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the half and half and continue stirring until the soup is smooth. Add the veggie broth as well as the seasonings.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the soup thickens, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and simmer until tender. This will take about 15 minutes. Add cheese and stir until fully melted.
- Serve your broccoli and cheddar cheese soup immediately, with additional cheese on top, because cheesy recipes are the best!
- I would suggest using fresh broccoli, and not frozen broccoli, for this recipe.
- Also, be sure you chop your broccoli pieces rather small to ensure the bites are easy to chew.
What Goes Well with Broccoli Cheese Soup?
This is a wonderful soup to enjoy with a fresh salad and a hunk of crusty french bread.
There are few things I love more in life than a great soup and salad, with some great bread for dipping!
After enjoying your broccoli cheddar cheese soup, you can have one of these decadent mint chocolate magic bars for dessert!
More Comfort Food Recipes
- Biscuits and Gravy Skillet
- Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
- Mexican Spaghetti Casserole
- Mint Chocolate Magic Bars
- Macaroni Corn Casserole
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup onion, diced small
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped small
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Melt butter in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the carrots and the onion and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour and continue to stir for about 5 minutes. Slowly add the half and half and continue to stir until smooth. Pour in the vegetable broth and stir until well blended. Add the salt, pepper and the garlic.
- Reduce the temperature to medium low and simmer until mixture thickens, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cheese and cook until cheese is melted, 4 to 5 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 434 Total Fat: 34g Saturated Fat: 20g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 98mg Sodium: 954mg Carbohydrates: 16g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Protein: 19g