My famous broccoli salad recipe is made with fresh broccoli, crispy bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, dried cranberries, and sweet and tangy sauce! It’s one of the best potluck salads, along with my Amish potato salad, our German cucumber salad, and this yummy broccoli and red cabbage slaw.
Broccoli Bacon Salad
It’s true that we inherit some of our best traits from our mothers.
Well, in this case, I’ve also inherited one of her best recipes, because you guys… this broccoli salad is absolutely, without question, one of the very best recipes in my repertoire.
Its sweet and tangy sauce is like liquid gold.
I could literally eat a whole huge batch of this stuff and never need anything else on my plate!
How to Make Broccoli Salad
This recipe is very easy to make. Here’s what you’ll need to gather! As always, a complete recipe can be printed toward the bottom of this page.
1 lb. broccoli about 4 cups, cut into florets
6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1/4 cup chopped red onion, diced
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 package (6 oz., about 1.5 cups) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 cup real mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
First, in a large bowl mix together the broccoli, crumbled bacon, onion, cranberries, cheese, and the walnuts.
Now, in a small bowl stir together the mayonnaise, vinegar and the sugar. Add to the broccoli mixture and gently stir.
After that you just chill and serve your delicious broccoli salad!
Our Best Tips
- What if I don’t like walnuts? No problem. Replace with pecans or sunflower seeds. You can also skip them all together.
- Can you make this recipe with cauliflower in stead of broccoli? I haven’t tried it, but I don’t see why not!
- What if I need to feed a crowd? Simply double the recipe! I do it all the time when I’m taking it to a potluck or picnic.
- Can I make your broccoli salad ahead of time? Yes! Like most cold salads with sauce, it really tastes great on day two. I would just recommend keeping the bacon and the cheese out until just before the first serving, as both could get a big soft if left in the sauce overnight.
I’m totally addicted to this stuff, and if you try it, I think you will be too!
More Potluck Salads
- 4 cups broccoli, cut into bite-size florets
- 1/2 cup cooked bacon (about 6 slices), crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 package (6 oz., about 1.5 cups) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl mix together the broccoli, crumbled bacon, onion, cranberries, cheese and the walnuts.
- In a small bowl stir together the mayonnaise, vinegar and the sugar. Add to the broccoli mixture and gently stir. Chill at least 1 hour and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 377Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 413mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 4gSugar: 15gProtein: 7g