Gluten Free Chicken Salad
Friends, I’m here to share the best gluten free chicken salad recipe. Whether you’re following a gluten-free diet, have food allergies, or just like a super-tasty chicken salad (hand up), this recipe is a great way to create a wonderful lunch or dinner for your family. This is a classic chicken salad bursting with bright flavors, all while sticking to a gluten-free diet. This delicious chicken salad recipe is going to rock your world. Bonus? It’s low carb and one of my all-time favorite gluten-free salad recipes.
Before I get started, if you’re adverse to the term “gluten free,” no need to worry. There’s nothing woo-woo about this chicken salad. It’s just a simple, regular ol’ chicken salad recipe that also happens to be free of gluten. Nothing strange here, I promise.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Gluten-Free: This recipe is entirely gluten-free, making it a great option for those with dietary restrictions or gluten sensitivities.
- Simple Ingredients: No need for fancy or hard-to-find items; you’ll only require basic ingredients that are probably already in your kitchen, or at the very least, easy to acquire.
- Versatile: You can enjoy my easy gluten-free chicken salad in various ways, from sandwiches to lettuce wraps, and even as a topping for your favorite gluten-free bread.
- Perfect Combination of Flavors: The combination of tender chicken, mayo, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, fresh herbs, and crunchy veggies creates a simple but satisfying chicken salad. The best part? It’s huge flavor payoff with very little effort.
- Meal Prep Magic: Prepare a batch of our gluten free chicken salad recipe for quick and tasty meal prep.
How to Make The Best Gluten Free Chicken Salad Recipe
Are you ready to whip-up a batch of my easy chicken salad recipe? This recipes is one of my favorite ways to utilize that chicken breast that’s sitting in the fridge or freezer. Here are the ingredients you’ll need to gather to begin the process. As always, the full list of ingredients can be found in our convenient recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- 4 cups shredded chicken breasts (any type)
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons green onion, chopped (could substitute red onion)
- 1 crisp celery stalk, chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Prepare the Chicken: If you don’t have leftover chicken, you can opt for a store-bought rotisserie chicken meat for convenience. Using rotisserie chicken is one of my favorite shortcuts, however, it has been said that some of the preparation methods used to make store-bought rotisserie chicken does not result in a gluten-free product. If you have any food allergies, to be safe, you will want to prepare your own chicken to avoid cross contamination. Shred the chicken breast meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix the Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, chopped parsley, green onions, and chopped celery. Stir until everything is thoroughly blended and you have a creamy dressing.
- Season to Taste: Taste your chicken salad and season it with salt and fresh cracked black pepper to your liking. Don’t be afraid to add a little extra pepper for a delightful kick!
- Chill or Serve: You have two options—serve your chicken salad immediately for a light and refreshing dinner or refrigerate it for later. It’s the ultimate chicken salad recipe!
- Swap The Mayo: If you’re looking for a super creamy chicken salad with a tangy twist, replace some or all of the mayo with full fat or fat free Greek yogurt, or sour cream.
- Fresh Herbs: Experiment with different fresh herbs like fresh dill, chives, or tarragon to give your chicken salad a unique flavor.
- Red Grapes: Add juicy grapes for a sweet and refreshing twist. Green grapes work just as well. There are so many different ways to enhance this salad! Don’t have grapes? Dried cranberries are also a big hit with my family.
- Protein Power: Don’t have chicken breast on hand? Try chicken thighs! This easy salad works with well with both.
- Lemon Changes: Don’t have lemon on hand? No problem. Try a splash of white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar to replace.
How to Serve Gluten Free Chicken Salad Recipe
- Lettuce Cups: Enjoy your chicken salad in crisp lettuce cups (crisp romaine lettuce or butter lettuce) for a low-carb, gluten-free option that’s light and satisfying.
- Lettuce Wraps: Wrap the salad in large lettuce leaves for a refreshing take on chicken salad sandwiches that’s perfect for a gluten-free lifestyle.
- The Ultimate Chicken Salad Sandwich: Load up this chicken salad onto your favorite gluten-free bread for a classic and delightful meal.
- Dip it Up! Use a food processor to shred your chicken super-finely and create more of a spread consistency, and create a gluten-free dip with fresh crunchy veggies.
How to Store Gluten-Free Chicken Salad Recipe
To keep your chicken salad fresh, store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay good for up to 4 days. If you ask me, it has the best flavor the next day, because all the flavors have had time to meld.
This is a great recipe to make ahead and send with your kids in their lunch boxes. I like to pair with some leafy greens, and maybe some hard-boiled eggs and fresh fruit in their lunch boxes. Well, to be honest, I usually add some potato chips, too. Who doesn’t like potato chips with chicken salad?
Can I Freeze This Gluten-Free Chicken Salad?
You should not freeze this chicken salad, as mayonnaise can become oily and the texture may change after thawing.
So there you have it—an easy, mouthwatering, and gluten-free chicken salad recipe that makes a wonderful family meal. Whether you’re making it for meal prep, a light dinner, or your next picnic, this recipe is bound to become a staple in your kitchen. Don’t forget to rate it after trying it out, and don’t hesitate to get creative with your own favorite add-ins and twists!
More Chicken Recipes
- 4 cups shredded chicken breast meat
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- Juice from ½ Lemon
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Taste, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 344mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 22g