This sweet and savory pineapple casserole recipe is a southern dish that can be served as a side or a dessert! This old-fashioned dish is made with sweet and juicy pineapple chunks, sharp cheddar cheese, and buttery crackers.
Looking for more easy side dishes? Try my Jiffy corn casserole or green bean casserole.
Southern Pineapple Casserole
The first time I tried this dish, it was a at a friend’s house. She told me that it was more traditionally a southern recipe, and assured me that I needed to try it.
I have to say, when she told me that her pineapple casserole had CHEESE in the recipe, I did a double take. At first, it didn’t sound like it would be good.
Boy was I ever wrong!
Now, this casserole is one of my favorite dishes, and I’ve made it for my family several times.
You can serve pineapple casserole as a dessert, but we usually have it as a side dish.
I love how easy the recipe comes together, and it only requires a few ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to have on hand to make it. As always, we have a recipe card at the bottom of the post that you can print with specific amounts.
sharp cheddar cheese, grated or shredded very fine
pineapple chunks, juice reserved
Ritz crackers, crushed
How to Make Pineapple Cheese Casserole
To make your ownd, start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
After that, in a large bowl, combine the sugar and the flour.
Next, stir in the pineapple and the cheese, and spread it evenly into a 1 ½ quart baking dish.
In a medium bowl, combine the crushed crackers and the melted butter until evenly coated.
Sprinkle the crispy crackers over the top of the pineapple cheese casserole mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until your casserole is a beautiful golden brown.
- I use both pineapple chunks and tidbits, but if you only have one, either will work in the recipe.
- While you can use other types of cheese, I do believe sharp cheddar does a nice job working against the sweetness of the pineapple to create a delicious flavor.
Have you ever tried pineapple casserole?
Honestly, if you haven’t, you should give it a try! It’s a warm, comforting, and both savory and sweet, making it a total winner in my book.
Best Casserole Recipes
Sweet and savory pineapple casserole with cheese is a unique side dish or dessert.
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated or shredded very fine
- 1 (20 oz.) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 (20 oz.) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 cup Ritz crackers (20 crackers), crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and the flour, stir in the pineapple, and the cheese. Spread evenly into a 1 ½ quart baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the crushed crackers and the melted butter until evenly coated.
- Sprinkle the crackers over the top of the pineapple mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 333Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 310mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 8g