Our stuffed cabbage casserole recipe is an easy meal with layers of ground beef, cabbage, tomatoes, rice, and cheese. This is a deconstructed version of traditional stuffed cabbage rolls, and it’s a huge hit with my family!
Cabbage Roll Casserole Recipe
If you love stuffed cabbage rolls but not the time it takes to make them, this recipe is for you.
To make this a keto or low carb casserole just swap out the rice and replace it with more meat.
How to Make Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
To make this easy casserole, start by pre-heating your oven to 350 degrees. Next, spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large skillet over medium heat add the ground beef, onion, and garlic. Cook these ingredients until ground beef is browned and thoroughly cooked. If you have excess grease, feel free to drain it here.
Now, stir in your oregano, thyme, paprika, water, Worcestershire sauce, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Allow this to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, and then turn off the heat and stir in 2 cups of cooked rice.
While the sauce for your stuffed cabbage casserole is simmering, add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet or dutch oven, the add the cabbage.
Season with salt and pepper, cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally to ensure all the cabbage is cooked. You’ll want to cook the cabbage until just tender, or about 5 minutes.
Spread half the cabbage evenly over the bottom of the baking dish, then spread half the sauce over the cabbage, repeating the process until all ingredients have been utilized.
At this point you should cover your stuffed cabbage casserole tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
Remove from the oven, cover with the 2 cups cheese, return to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes uncovered, or until the cheese melted and starting to brown.
Finally, garnish your cabbage casserole with some fresh parsley and enjoy!
Cabbage Casserole Tips
- This recipe is good in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days. You can freeze the casserole for up to 3 months.
- You can make this a keto cabbage casserole by swapping the rice for more ground beef.
- Make your stuffed cabbage casserole dairy-free by dropping the cheese!
- Spice it up a bit by adding a couple pinches of crushed red pepper to your tomato sauce.
More Easy Ground Beef Casseroles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 large onion diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 ½ heads green cabbage cored, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Garnish with fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the ground beef, onion, and garlic. Cook until ground beef is browned and thoroughly cooked, drain if needed.
- Stir in oregano, thyme, paprika, water, Worcestershire sauce, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, turn off the heat and stir in 2 cups of cooked rice.
- While the sauce is simmering, add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet or dutch oven, add the cabbage, season with salt and pepper, cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook just until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Spread half the cabbage evenly over the bottom of the baking dish, spread half the sauce over the cabbage, then repeat.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, cover with the 2 cups cheese, return to the oven and bake uncovered for an additional 20 minutes, or until the cheese melted starting to brown. Garnish with fresh parsley, optional.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 367mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 20g