I live for Mexican food, and this easy taco rice is one of my favorite Mexican side dishes to prepare when I’m serving tacos, burritos, or enchiladas to my family. It’s a little spicy, a little sweet (thanks to the corn), and totally delicious!
How to Make Taco Rice
While I’m a fan of traditional Spanish rice, my husband is sensitive to tomato sauce. It’s why I often make this easy taco rice. It’s one of my favorite Mexican side dishes.
To make this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- long grain white rice
- chicken broth
- Southwest corn with poblano and red peppers (I get Del Monte Brand)
- mild chopped green chiles
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- dried oregano
pepper freshcilantro, chopped
First, melt your butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Next, add the rice and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in the remaining ingredients through the black pepper, and bring it to a boil.
Cover and reduce the heat. Simmer your taco rice for 15 to 20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed. Remove for the heat and allow to sit covered for 5 minutes.
Stir in the fresh cilantro (unless you’re one of those folks who doesn’t like cilantro). and enjoy! This is truly one of the best side dishes for tacos!
Mexican Side Dish for Tacos, Burritos, and Bowls
As I mentioned, I usually make this tasty taco rice as a side dish for tacos, burritos, or enchiladas.
You can even use this rice as a filling for your tacos or burritos.
My kids are not huge fans of the texture of meat, so, I often add this rice to a flour tortilla along with some cheese. It’s a great vegetarian side dish that tastes amazing.
You can also use this taco rice as an ingredient for burrito bowls.
Add some shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, cheese, avocado or sour cream to complete the bowl.
My friend Stacie’s slow cooker black beans would also taste amazing paired with this taco rice.
More Easy Recipes
- Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Biscuits and Gravy Skillet
- Mint Chocolate Magic Bars
- Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- Macaroni Corn Casserole
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15.25 ounce )can Southwest corn with poblano and red peppers
- 1 (4-ounce) can mild chopped green chiles
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat melt the butter.
- Add the rice and cook for about 2 minutes, stir frequently.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients through the black pepper, bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed. Remove for the heat and allow to sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 432mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 2g